Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
We were set our preliminary and continuity tasks at the beginning of the course, due to the fact I had little to no experience of filming, I believe the tasks were set to teach the importance of the fundamentals of filming. For example, the 180 degree rule is a basic concept in filming as well as the match on action and shot reverse shot, these were all concepts that were stressed we must gain an understanding of through these tasks set.
The belief the preliminary task was set to teach us fundamental media concepts can be reinforced by the criteria I chose to insert when I uploaded my preliminary task:
Throughout my preliminary task, my filming in absolutely terrible. Although I had a tripod my movements were shaking and the plot of my short two minute task did not make sense, furthermore the shots were out of focus the majority of the time and the movements of the male character travelling up the stairs and to the door lacked continuity. Although at face value this appears to be a failure, the lack of skill I presented myself as having through the preliminary task was beneficial for me as I could learn through error.
Since that task, I did a continuity task that although still lacked skill, showed an improvement of my editing and showed that I could insert sound and control the level of volume, futhermore I was able to add titles successfully.
However, since these tasks I have drastically developed my media skills, I have been able to use much more advanced skills such as parellel editing, in my film opening to present a strong narrative and make my product far more interesting for the viewer.
I can also emphasise how much I have progressed since my preliminary task through the use of sound. In my preliminary task I only used dialogue and non digetic background music, however in my film opening I used a large range of sound- including a sound bridge and digetic sound throughout. The background music in my preliminary task was innapropriate for the plot I was trying to put across and was purely used for comedy, this was a mistake however I feel I learnt from it succesfful due to the fact I learnt how music should be used to set a scene, build tension and glue together scene transitions as a result. In my film opening I used an instrumental piece from ‘Donnie Darko’ another psychological thriller with similar themes of my own to build tension and set the scene of my film opening.
Since learning how to use applications like After effects my confidence has rapidly increased, this can be reinforced by the practice tasks I did to improve the transitions of my titles.
I also learnt how to appropriately fit a title to the genre of film, the preliminary task I did only had one title that was mis-chosen and was not of an appropriate font, however when I did my after effects practice I had downloaded a celtic font to install into the aplication so that it fit with the fantasy elemant of the film.
Also, every shot I filmed in my prilimiary was with the aid of a tripod, although I do understand the need for them, alot of my film opening was filmed using freehand camera skills- I felt that with the use of effects (that I have also learnt to use) like warp stabaliser, I could get more creative shots.
I believe since I began the progression towards my final task, I believe I have progressed in every aspect of media.